STUDY IN USA :
The United States of America commonly referred to as the United States, America, or simply the States, is a federal republic consisting of 50 states and a federal district. Total population of US is 316,590,000 as on September 4, 2013.
The geography and climate of the US is also extremely diverse, with deserts, plains, forests, and mountains that are home to a wide variety of wildlife. The United States is a developed country and has the world’s largest national economy, with an estimated 2013 GDP of $16.2 trillion –22% of global GDP at purchasing-power parity, as of 2011. The per capita GDP of the US was the world’s sixth-highest as of 2010. Being the foremost economic and military power, a prominent political and cultural force in the world, and a leader in scientific research and technological innovation. CURRENCY OF USA – UNITED STATES DOLLAR (USD)
WHY STUDY IN USA :
- USA, the country which has experimented with democracy for more than 200 years is strong economically as well as culturally today with the base being the immigrants.
- The United States has more institutions of higher education than any other country, but despite the numbers it is the quality of education provided by these academic bodies which is acknowledged worldwide. The teaching forces of these institutions are leading authorities in their respective fields. The quality of the research program along with the resources available and the faculty ensures that the institutions have high standards.
- More than 4000 institutions offer undergraduate, masters and doctorate degrees in many different specializations. The USA education system has strong academic & social environment which fosters academic, professional and personal development of individuals.
- The education definitely falls in the category of value for your money. USA education is the best investment for the future. A wide spectrum of tuition fees, accommodation options & financial help from the institutions in the form of scholarships, fee waivers, aid etc makes USA education affordable.
- The USA education system is flexible in terms of choice of courses within a college or university. During the course of study, a student can transfer from one course/stream to another or one institution to another. This aspect of the USA education system makes it distinct from other countries.
- The best approach of the USA education system is that it allows one to learn and earn. This not only gives one, a thorough knowledge of the subjects, but also teaches one to have a practical & professional approach. It gives better growth prospects worldwide
EDUCATION SYSTEM :
USA has the world’s most flexible education system, students can study their area of interest as specialization. As the education system of USA is not centralized each institute can determine its program and admission standards. Lateral movement in the education system is possible any time
GRADING SYSTEM :
USA has the world’s most flexible education system, students can study their area of interest as specialization. As the education system of USA is not centralized each institute can determine its program and admission standards. Lateral movement in the education system is possible any time.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE :
US universities have4 intakes
- Spring: January/February
- Fall: August/September
- Summer: April/May
- Winter: December
Major intake is the Fall intake, but most of the universities are open for Spring and few of them for summer & winter intake too. However all subjects commence in Fall and only some in Winter and Summer intake.
REQUIREMENT OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE :
ENTRY CRITERIA :
- Undergraduate: 10+2
- Graduate:16 years of education required (10+2+4)
- Some institutions accept 15 years education into their Bridge /Masters Programs
- Good & strong academic background
- Good scores in entrance exams like SAT, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, IELTS
- Strong recommendation letters
- To the point Statement of Purpose/Personal Statement, essays & resumes
- Certificates of achievement & extra -curricular activity participation
International students can take up on campus jobs they are allowed to work 20 hrs per week during semester (on campus). On campus jobs may include teaching assistantship or research assistantship where a student is paid on an average $8 to $10 per hour thus student earns approximately $ 500-$ 1000 per month or can get a waiver in tuition fees. With this, a student can also do internship in the related field which may be paid. During vacation the student is allowed to work for 40 hrs per week. On completion of the course, student is allowed to work for 1year popularly known as OPT (optional practical training). Students with certain degrees (STEM – Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) are allowed to work for 29 months. On completion of their OPT; the student can later apply for work on a H1 B visa. (Work permit visa)